Manitoba Nursing Homes

Understanding The Nursing Home System

General Definition Of Nursing Homes

Definition of Nursing Homes

In the province on Manitoba, nursing homes are referred to as a “Personal Care Home“ (PCH). PCHs care for individuals who need 24 hour a day, 7 day a week nursing supervision, and who can no longer live safely at home because of health concerns.


In order to be admitted into a PCH you must a resident of Manitoba and have a valid Manitoba health card. If you are new to Manitoba, but have lived in the province for at least 24 months, you may be eligible for nursing home services. If you previously lived in Manitoba for at least 10 years, but have been absent for less then 10 years, you may also still be eligible.

Government Responsibility

Manitoba Health is responsible for setting fees and inspecting PCHs.

Accommodation/Room Type

Most nursing homes have a selection of room layouts from which to choose. A basic, or ward room consists of 3 or more beds. A semi-private room has only 2 beds, and a private room has a single bed in a room. Please see ‘Manitoba Nursing Home Costs’ below for fees associated with each room.

Applying To A Personal Care Home In Manitoba

The application process is fairly similar amoung most Regional Health Authorities (RHA) in Manitoba, in that you must contact your Home Care Office in your RHA to apply to a nursing home. However, Winnipeg has a separate Long-term Care Access Centre to handle nursing home admissions. If you are in the Winnipeg region, please contact 1-204-940-3600. For all other regions, please see the “Applying to a Nursing Home” tab on the left hand side of the screen to obtain the telephone number for the RHA in your area.

Once you have decided that you need assistance with your health care needs and you contact your local Home Care Office, you will be assigned Home Care Case Coordinator. With information from your physician, your case manager will determine if you are eligible for nursing home placement. The Case Coordinator will complete an application and conduct a thorough assessment to determine your care needs. The Case Coordinator will forward this information to the Regional Panel, who will review the application to determine if you are eligible for a nursing home bed. In some regions, the applicant and their family members may be present for the Panel meeting.

If you are not deemed eligible, the Case Coordinator will work with you to discuss other care options, such as home care or other supports in the community. If you are not satisfied with this decision, you may be able to make an appeal. In the Winnipeg region, contact the Director of the Long-term Care Access Centre to dispute the decision of the Panel.

If, on the other hand, the Panel approves your application, your information will be sent to Manitoba Health to confirm your insurability within the PCH program. If your insurability is confirmed, you will be required to submit a list of your preferred PCHs to the Case Coordinator and your information is sent to these homes to ensure that they can meet your care needs.

Waiting List

If a nursing home can meet your care needs, the home will advise you that your name has been added to their waiting list. When a bed becomes vacant in a PCH, the committee will review all applicants on the waiting list to decide who will be offered the bed. Factors such as the length of time an applicant has been on a waiting list, urgency of care needs, risk factors, and ability of the PCH to meet the care needs of the applicant will influence who will be offered the bed. Either the PCH, or the Case Coordinator will contact you to advise you of the bed offer.

If you are in hospital awaiting nursing home placement you must accept the first bed that becomes available, regardless if it is one your preferred PCHs or not. You are able to request a transfer and maintain your position on your preferred home’s waiting list, and when a bed becomes available in a home of your choice, you will be able to relocate.

Appeal’s Procedure

If the Panel decides that you are not eligible for nursing home placement, you can appeal this decision by writing to the Appeal Panel, and presenting your case before the panel.

Admission Documentation

Upon admission to a PCH, you will be requested to provide:

Manitoba Nursing Home Costs

Nursing homes in Manitoba are either a public or private homes, but Manitoba Health determines both of their fees. Although nursing home costs are subsidized by the government, you will be required to pay for some of the services, such as room and board. This fee is known as an accommodation rate. Individual accommodation rates are determined only by your income, and you will not be asked to disclose the value of your assets or sell your house to pay for your nursing home care.  Effective August 2016,  the minimum accommodation rate for nursing home care is $33.90 per day, and the maximum rate is $79.20per day. These rates typically change August 1 of every year.

 Daily Accommodation RateMonthly Accommodation Rate
Minimum Rate $34.90 $1061
Maximum Rate  $81.60 $2482

Rate Reductions

If you are unable to pay the minimum accommodation rate because of exceptional circumstances, you may be eligible to apply for a rate reduction by requesting a review of your case. Prior to May 31, complete a Tax Information Release Form, or file an application for Reduced Residential Charge (the nursing home will complete section E).

Government Subsidy

The government of Manitoba subsidizes the cost of nursing home care. The costs are shared by Manitoba Health and Healthy Living, under the Personal Care Home insured program.

Short-Stay/Respite Care in Manitoba

Respite care gives temporary relief to caregivers, or allows them to go on vacation knowing that their loved one’s care needs are met. In order to apply for respite care, you must contact your local Home Care Office, and you will be assessed using the same paneling process as a permanent nursing home placement. 

Discretionary Spending

In determining the accommodation fee a nursing home resident must pay, each nursing home resident must have $3768 per year (or $314 per month) for personal spending. 

Programs and Services That Are Covered

Resident accommodation fees and government subsidy will cover the following costs in a nursing home:

Programs and Services Not Covered

The following programs and services are not covered by government subsidy or the accommodation fee, and therefore the resident will incur out-of-pocket costs.


Nursing home residents do not pay for medications that are prescribed by a physician and are covered under Manitoba’s Personal Care Home Program. However, mediations that are not included in this plan are paid for by residents.

Manitoba Nursing Home Policies, Programs, And Services

Although nursing homes vary according to some programs and services, the following are fairly standard across all nursing homes.


Although homes may vary in their use of restraints, they should all have a least restraint policy, which typically requires that restraints are only used if:

Hospital Stays

If a nursing home resident must go to hospital, they are required to continuing paying the nursing home accommodation fee to hold their bed. The nursing home must hold the bed for a maximum of 21 consecutive days. Beyond this length of time, you can apply for an extension, but each case is reviewed on an individual basis. If you are not granted an extension, the nursing home will discharge you and you can reapply for admission to the home when your health improves.

Vacation Leave/Extended Leave

Nursing home residents are able to go on vacation for not more than 21 days per calendar year. You are required to pay the nursing home accommodation fee while on vacation in order to hold your bed. If you choose to extend the leave beyond 21 days, you can continue to hold your bed if you pay the accommodation rate, in addition to the government per diem rate.

Social Leaves

Social leaves are absences from the nursing home for a period not exceeding 3 days, or a maximum of 72 hours, at any time per week. This does not include vacation/extended leave. While on social leave, you must continue paying the accommodation fee.

Manitoba Nursing Home Regulation And Inspections

Manitoba nursing homes must abide by the Personal Care Homes Standards and Regulations, as part of the Health Services Insurance Act. All nursing homes must be licensed. In addition, they should be accredited by Accreditation Canada (formerly the Canadian Council for Health Services Accreditation). Accreditation Canada is an independent, non-government agency that evaluates health care facilities. Homes that have been through this process, and have been granted accreditation are presented with a plaque, which most nursing homes prominently display.


Government Inspections

Manitoba Health is responsible for monitoring and inspecting nursing homes every 2 years. Upon the completion of an inspection, the inspector will verbally review the findings with administration, staff, and family (if they wish to attend). The nursing home will receive a written report within 6 – 8 weeks, and the Administrator must write and submit, within 50 days, a Corrective Action Plan, which outlines how and when concerns will be corrected. The Administrator must submit a status update 100 days later, to inform the inspector of progress made in fixing the concerns. Inspectors revisit up to 1/3 of nursing homes within a year of the inspection, depending on the nature of the findings, to ensure that the home has corrected problems and concerns. Inspection reports are not made available to the public.


If you have a concern with the nursing home, first speak with the staff to make them aware of the problem and discuss ways to address the issue. If you are not satisfied with this response, contact the Manager of the department. Serious issues, or concerns that are still not corrected, should be brought to the attention of the Administrator.

As per the Health Services Insurance Act, a nursing home must have a “written policy for dealing with complaints made by residents and others about the home’s care, services, or environment”. Furthermore, nursing homes must “post an outline of how to lodge a complaint in a prominent and easily accessible location in the Personal Care Home”. If you are not satisfied with the home’s response, you can contact the Long-term Care Manager at your local RHA.

In cases of suspected abuse and neglect, the Personal Care Home Program, which is an

independent body, conducts investigations. If you are in the Winnipeg area, please call 788-6366, or outside the Winnipeg area, please call 800-855-0511.